Sunday 12 April 2015

Lights Out

It was dusk, a time that necessitated turning on the lights.  Well, none of the lights worked.   It wasn’t unusual to have a power failure in Pointe Claire.  We thought it was just another power outage in the area.  We got wood in for the wood burner, got the kerosene lamps ready and extra blankets for everyone’s bed for the cold night ahead. We tentatively expected the neighbors to come to huddle around our wood stove. As it got darker and darker, we noticed the neighbours in the back still had their power. I went out on the street to investigate who lost their power and noticed everyone but us had power.  This was a mystery.  We had paid our hydro bill?



Slowly the recollections of the day came back to me.  I was working in the garage and rolling up the garden hose. I recklessly threw it over the hook on the wall, and went on my  business.  It turned out that ‘hook’ on the wall was the main power lever for the house and by throwing the hose over it, I inadvertently switched it off.  Power problem solv-ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment